Going from place to place and chasing one task after another, you might think that you’re already doing enough to keep your body moving and your health goals on track. But having an active lifestyle does not automatically equate to living a completely healthy life. It must be supplemented with the correct vitamins and minerals for our body to function at its best. Therefore, a thorough understanding of these components is necessary. For all efforts in building an active and healthy lifestyle will be in vain if we are not knowledgeable with what kinds of vitamins and minerals must go in our body and how they correspond to our daily needs.
This article will give you a quick guide on the top 10 vitamins and minerals needed by the body and the problem areas they address according to pharmaceutical experts.
- Vitamin A is known to maintain a strong heart, immunity, and eye and lung health thus addressing all problems related to these.
- Vitamin B is in charge of converting macro and micronutrients such as carbohydrates, fats, and proteins into energy. Therefore, it is necessary for healthy metabolism as well as cell development, growth, and function. It also ensures the peak condition of our hair and nails. Vitamin B helps with problems involving the nervous and digestive system, the brain, and the skin.
- Vitamin C is among the most heard vitamins on the list. It helps the immune system and increases iron absorption from plant-based foods and supplements. Since it’s an antioxidant, vitamin C protects our cells from damaging free radicals. It also aids in wound healing by helping our body produce collagen. Hence, vitamin C is helpful in maintaining healthy veins and arteries, muscles, cartilage, tendons, bones, teeth, and skin.
- Vitamin D builds strong bones by helping our body absorb calcium from food and supplements. It also boosts the functioning of the immune system while supporting healthy cell growth as well as muscle and cardiovascular function.
- Vitamin E helps defend our cells against the oxidative stress caused by sunlight, pollution, and stress which can prematurely age the skin. When combined with zinc, beta-carotene, and vitamin C, vitamin E also help maintain long-term eye health.
- Zinc is an essential mineral that plays an important role in immune function and is essential for normal growth and development during pregnancy and childhood. It is an antioxidant that plays a vital role in overall health. It is mostly involved in many processes, including metabolism, vision and skin health. Zinc also appears to provide support to other antioxidants involved in supporting visual acuity.
- Sodium plays a critical role in helping your cells maintain the right balance of fluid. It’s also used to help cells absorb nutrients. It’s the most abundant electrolyte ion found in the body. It is an essential mineral controlled by your kidneys and partially responsible for keeping your body’s fluids in balance. This includes blood plasma and the fluid between your cells. Sodium is also necessary to maintain healthy muscle and nerve function.
- Potassium allows the nerves to respond to stimulation and the muscles to tighten, which are processes especially critical to your heart function. Your body also needs potassium to build proteins and muscles. It’s required for growth throughout your body and helps regulate the use of carbohydrates. Potassium is abundant in the average diet.
- Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body and is crucial for structural support. It is necessary for healthy bones, teeth, muscle, and nerve function. It is also a critical part of many metabolic, neurological and muscular functions.
- Magnesium helps more than 300 enzymes that regulate various processes in the body, including muscle and nerve function, heart rhythms and glucose control. Magnesium is critical for helping the body use calcium and vitamin D so that it can strengthen the bones. It also supports energy production and cardiovascular function.
It seems daunting to remember the importance of these 10 vitamins and minerals. But there are various sources from which they can be acquired such as meal replacement shakes. USANA Philippines offers a variety of meal replacement shakes under their active nutrition line namely: Nutrimeal, Fibergy Active, and Watermelon Electrolyte Replacement Drink. All of which takes less than a minute to prepare. In quick and easy steps, people on the go will be able to secure the nutrients they need and move with ease.
Indeed, it is important to know what our body needs to keep us healthy and active. But the process does not stop there. It is what you do with the information you gained that will affect the results. What will you do now?